Tuesday 2 April 2013

JK 2013

So, after last years outing to Scotland, this years event was much easier to get to as it was in and around Reading in the south of England.

Day 1 was the sprint event held at the University of Reading campus where my course was a 1.9km straight line course around the building in the campus where (obviously) none of the direct routes were possible as they all went straight through buildings! Not the greatest run as I made some route choice errors (wrong way round buildings and managed to mislay the final control and lost a couple of minutes as I found my way again. Oops.

Day 2 was in the beautiful woods at Hambleden just north east of Henley. It was bitterly cold, but I loved the location and the 10km & 410m climb course. I made a silly error at one control, but was fairly consistent through the others not getting utterly lost (as I did last year).

Day 3 was in Cold Ash woods just north of Newbury and south of the M4. This was a must wetter area than day 2 and pretty boggy in places. Did not enjoy the 9.5km course nearly as much as yesterday and it took almost 10 minutes longer even with far less climb.

Day 4 was the relays in a slightly different part of Hambleden. Again, the weather was good and running the second leg in the company of Alan Honey (first) and Jeremy Tonge (third) we came a very respectable 27th of 57 teams competing in the senior mens competition.

Although the weekend was pretty cold, it was brilliant and I enjoyed every day. I came 71st overall out of 123 during the main two days.

http://www.thejk.org.uk/jk2013/

No comments:

Post a Comment